Subject: Re: [regrep] [Deadline Tomorrow] Re: [regrep] XML2004 abstract deadline: May 7

Here is the proposed 500 word abstract addressing Semantic Content
Management Using ebXML Registry ..
nit picking comments welcome ..

title = Managing Medical Ontologies using OWL and Registry / Repository

The Semantic Web is about the autonomous discovery and assembly of
dis-tributed remote resources. Which is based on the automated sharing of
meta-data terms across Web applications that provide a common approach for
the discovery, understanding, and exchange of semantics. This presentation
out-lines how the e-health knowledge embedded in Upper and Lower
Ontologies support the web service discovery task that may involve the
interaction of in-dependent resources from different domains and owned by
different entities. In particular, it identifies the challenges of
development and publishing re-quired by agents representing the
stakeholders that use OWL ontologies to both assist the discovery process
and also to pull the services together into a workflow. Such as, the
semantically enriched web services being developed for ARTEMIS an
international project which provides interoperability of medical
information systems.

The audience will understand how specific knowledge management chal-lenges
are addressed including - how using ontologies for managing content
ensures a high level of relevance for the knowledge that is being
associated with the semantic annotations. Given,  documents can be viewed
(and there-fore indexed) according to different views of the world, and
assigned different classification schemes used for different purposes.
Further, why a multidi-mensional view of the world requires use of several
ontologies, not as a single classification hierarchy, but as a product of
orthogonal hierarchies. Given (1) a large overlap among the subject fields
involved and (2)  a large number of codes and rubrics, typically in the
order of magnitude of 10000-100000 entries, in commonly used
terminological systems;

Additionally, participants will learn how the enterprise content
management capabilities of ISO/TS 15000 based Registry / Repository are
used to met the challenges. For instance, although the ISO/TS 15000
standard does not ex-plicitly reference semantic content capabilities the
session will shown how it is already being used to associate web services
with OWL ontologies. Specifically, in addition to explaining the approach
used by the Artemeis project, the speaker will show how the Mayo Clinic
has successfully used the Registry / Repository for their Ontological
investigations. Referencing, how the Electronic Health Record (EHR) is
defined by two ontological levels. (1) Level One On-tology represents the
high-level classes and relationships for the entire longi-tudinal HER (the
classes are domain independent); (2) Level Two ontology represents
clinical concepts in the form of classes and the relationships be-tween
those classes; (3) Classes in the Level Two ontology can be repre-sented
both through its relationships with the classes of the Level One
ontol-ogy, and through it’s relationships with the classes in the Level
Two ontology. Finally, the attendees will be given a brief status report
outlining the progress of the OASIS EbXML Registry / Repository Semantic
Content Management SC effort focused on enabling the creation of a
repository of ontologies. De-scriptions provided include how such a
repository would facilitate ontology discovery and encourage reuse across
enterprises. Plus, how the logical con-sistency of ontologies can be
checked with a reasoner, and implicit knowledge can be inferred for these
ontologies using queries employing semantic terms

<quote who="Chiusano Joseph">

--
Carl Mattocks

co-Chair OASIS (ISO/TS 15000) ebXMLRegistry Semantic Content SC
co-Chair OASIS Business Centric Methodology TC
CEO CHECKMi
v/f (usa) 908 322 8715
www.CHECKMi.com
Semantically Smart Compendiums