Subject: RE: [regrep] Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting

Some,

It stems from the library/e-journals communities and is an alternative
methodology to ISO23950 in terms of searching union library catalogues:

One model is to send a single query to multiple catalogues in real time
using a standard search protocol such as ISO23950, the second is to
harvest the records from multiple catalogues into a single index.
OAI-PMH serves the latter.

It is not a complex protocol - it is REST-like (in predates REST) and
essentially provides a means of establishing a list of subsets, what
formats (typically XML) the index records can be obtained, and request
the records for that subset of the catalogue - i.e. it follows a
subscription/publication model.

There is a lot of literature about the best approach (and hybrids) for
searching multiple catalogues and whether cross-searching/meta-searching
etc. or harvesting is the better approach.

I did write an article on these approaches sometime ago -
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue23/dovey/intro.html - it predates OAI-PMH
but the principles are more or less the same.

Matthew J. Dovey
Oxford University