Subject: [WS-Notification][Fwd: Re: [regrep] Fwd: Re: [emergency] BEA, Microsoft, and Tibco Release WS-Eventing Specification]

I looked back on this January 2004 e-mail below regarding the
WS-Eventing vendor specification with a new perspective given events
(pardon the pun) since that time, and thought I'd forward some thoughts:

OASIS now has a WS-Notification TC[1], which is a direct "competitor"
(functionally speaking) to WS-Eventing. WS-Notification leverages the
work defined in Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF - which came out
of the Grid community), which is also a new TC. The major difference
between the 2 specifications (WS-Eventing and WS-Notification) is that
WS-Eventing's model requires tightly coupling between the "event filter"
declaration and the format of the streaming content (it uses XPath
expressions), while WS-Notification uses a more loosely-coupled
topic-based subscription method.

Joe

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn

-------- Original Message --------
   Subject: Re: [regrep] Fwd: Re: [emergency] BEA, Microsoft, and Tibco
            Release WS-Eventing Specification
      Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:08:09 -0500
      From: "David RR Webber" <david@drrw.info>
        To: <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Rex Brooks"
            <rexb@starbourne.com>

Rex, I too saw this - and its a W3C submission.  Sometimes vendors
submit thesethings to the W3C in the hope that it might eventually
become a standard,or incorporated into work somewhere. Notice that any
work that OASIS is doing is treated as invisible WRT theW3C
architecture.  So maybe they feel they need this there? Anyway - I too
was baffled as to any possible value that this may addat this point -
except to waste some time and resource on determiningthat. DW.