Subject: Re: [regrep] http-binding and ExternalIdentifier / RIM targets

David RR Webber wrote:

> Clarification sought.
>
> I just went to use the http-binding GET method with the JAXR and it
> appears to be hardwired to only work with UUID instead of
> the more logical ability to query against any column in the RIM, and
> specifically of course the ExternalIdentifier - which one would
> expect to be the most logical place to query from a GET - because 9
> times out of 10 you could not expect to know what the
> UUID is even care necessarily (it could change for updated items).

Hi David,

So glad to see you using freebXML Registry :-)

One request. Please post questions related to freebXML Registry to the
ebxmlrr-tech mailing list after joining it from:

Next, JAXR API only exposes a Java interface (not described by our
specs) and the details of the transport used to communicate with
Registry are implementation specific. The freebXML Registry uses the
SOAP interface defined by our specs to have the JAXR provider talk to
the registry.

> Anyway - is this a behaviour of the JAXR implmentation - or did the
> http-binding GET specification only allow UUID as a target?

The freebXML Registry implementation supports all 3 HTTP binding options
but they are accessible via HTTP GET not JAXR API.

> What have other people implemented in their http-binding interfaces?
>
> If this si a minimalist detail in the specification - we probably need
> to fix this in the specification to allow any RIM target column. (it
> is not clear from the current documentation what "id"  is that is
> referenced).

Not clear what it is you are asking. Our specs do not allow retrieval of
partial objects (as in just one attribute/column). Objects are fetched
at the granularity of a RIM type. SQL queries may specify values of any
column in the relational schema for match.

Please clarify precisely what you are trying to do.

Finally, again I request that you please post your next reply to
ebxmlrr-tech and move this thread unless you have a spec issue to
discuss here.
Thanks for using freebXML Registry.