Subject: Re: [regrep] Impact of ICG Adoption on CCRIM SC (Was:[regrep]UN/CEFACT-ICG adopts freebXML Registry)

Performance has been studied exhaustively.

It is far easier to iterate through second level elements in the DOM
matching attribute values that accessing a deeply nested element in a
DOM tree.

//using jbuilder v 8

String myValue =
toString(root.getChild("Properties).getAttributeValue("assertedBy"));

if (myValue = myToken){
  //do what you need to do here
}

This is as simple and perfomance enhanced as it gets.

Duane

David RR Webber wrote:

> Duane,
>
> We also need to consider performance issues.
>
> Before we pass something over to CEFACT that looks like a
> recommendation - we need to attach
> some caveats.
>
> I don't think they should look at this than anything more than some
> initial fact gathering.
>
> My concern is that engines need to be able to optimize retrieval - and
> certainly that is difficult if
> everything is attribute based.  It makes it almost impossible to
> reference things by XPath to
> limit sections of the structure that may only be needed - especially
> thru a http-binding - which is
> obviously preferred for speed over SOAP requests.
>
> The i/o speed is going to be critical for the success of this - so we
> need to plan for that and
> develop accordingly.
>
> These are the kind of things we should be helping CEFACT with - before
> we jump ahead
> and recommend structures for storage....
>
> Thanks, DW
>
> Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>> Kathryn:
>>
>> I have cc'd some of the UN/CEFACT folks.  I will present this
>> document during our next telecon so we can kick off the process.  I
>> would like to have the one review before we publich this.  In the
>> meantime, I will retitle the document "Recommendations to UN/CEFACT
>> for the storage of Core Components and BIE's in an ebXML
>> Registry-Repository".
>> They will then be able to absorb whatever parts of it into their work
>> they need to.
>>
>> Duane
>>
>> Breininger, Kathryn R wrote:
>>
>>> We can approve it as a committee approved document.  Basic steps are:
>>>
>>> 1. Present the document at one of our telecons (just an overview/intro)
>>> 2. TC reviews for 2 weeks, sends comments
>>> 3. Comments are resolved