Subject: FW: IECM Standards Proposal

From: Owen_Ambur@ios.doi.gov [mailto:Owen_Ambur@ios.doi.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 1:17 PM
To: Paul.Fontaine@ost.dot.gov; miconnor@adobe.com
Cc: bfanning@aiim.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org; jtsprehe@jtsprehe.com;
julian.reschke@gmx.de; gstein@lyra.org; qdaly@xythos.com;
GOConnell@PureEdge.com; richards.john-a@epamail.epa.gov;
odonnell.chris@epa.gov; Edwin_McCeney@ios.doi.gov;
Maewyn.Cumming@cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk;
John.Borras@e-Envoy.gsi.gov.uk; karl.best@oasis-open.org;
Diane.Lewis@nhtsa.dot.gov; Ted_Weir@blm.gov; Michael.Daconta@dhs.gov;
Niemann.Brand@epamail.epa.gov; susan.turnbull@gsa.gov; Chiusano Joseph
Subject: IECM Standards Proposal

Paul & Mike, thanks a bunch for taking the lead in crafting a conceptual
proposal for specification of an international standard for
Interoperable Enterprise Content Management (IECM)!

Such an effort would be a natural extension of AIIM's technical report
on document and records management functions:  ANSI/AIIM TR48-2004,
Framework for the Integration of Electronic Document Management Systems
and Electronic Records Management Systems.
http://www.aiim.org/standards.asp?ID=24484 (That group, in which I
participated, made a conscious decision to *exclude* consideration of
"content" management as a matter of manageable scope.)

It could also build upon and "modernize" the efforts of the Document
Management Alliance (DMA), including the ODMA standard, taking into
account the evolution of the Web, XML, and component-based, service
oriented architecture.  See http://www.infonuovo.com/dma/ &
http://www.infonuovo.com/odma/ &
http://nfocentrale.net/NuovoDoc/info/deh-sketch.htm

It could be considered an extension to the WebDAV standard and DASL.
See http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/authoring/ & http://www.webdav.org/ &
http://www.webdav.org/dasl/

As you have outlined the problem/opportunity, XForms could also be
implicated.  http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/  Certainly, "forms" are
just another kind of document/record/content that needs to be managed.
For example, the core set of metadata required to manage forms may be
the same as for any other document/record.

However, as I indicated at the joint xmlCoP/SICoP meeting yesterday, I
encourage you to scope the effort to encompass work that can be
reasonably accomplished in a relatively short period of time, e.g., 6
months.
Ideally, one result would be to flesh out the document/records/content
management elements of the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Service
Component Reference Model (SRM), Data and Information Reference Model
(DRM), and Technical Reference Model (TRM).  In particular, I believe
the time is ripe for specification of a core set of XML metadata
elements to facilitate the discovery and management of
documents/records/content on the Web.

The bottom line is that I will be *delighted* to support this initiative
in any way that I can, particularly with respect to the XML related
aspects.

Owen Ambur, Co-Chair
xmlCoP  http://xml.gov/

BTW, here is the agenda that was postponed due to the events of 9/11:
http://xml.gov/agenda/20010919old.htm