Subject: Re: [regrep] Final draft recommendations for CC's and Registry -UML/UMM Profile for CCTS

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Why am I getting a 1999 flashback here? :)

The year of the man formally known as .....

1999 is actually an interesting date for many comparisons between bulky
XML formats and slim binary formats. I conducted  an invited
presentation for OMG in Norway re. a comparison between Corba IIOP, CDR
vs XML  This was based on the research on XIOP (IIOP using XML) the BML
Binary MarkupLanguage I was doing.

It turned out that XML could be up to, more than 10x, bulkier and 10x
slower than CDR encodings. An interesting observation is that XML
continues to be textual and binary XML is still being investigated.
Another observation is that ZIP, GZIP, BZIP etc all are relativly good
compresors for XML based files.

Lessons learned: select the tools,principles one needs. If one needs
speed, select, cdr, asn1, tlv and select xml for generic information
markup formats.

cheers
/anders