Subject: Re: [regrep] Final draft recommendations for CC's and Registry -UML/UMM Profile for CCTS

Duane Nickull wrote:

> Evan:
>
> Thank you. Anders has successfully enlightened me to the fact that UML
> does contain more than just the 2 dimensional syntax, albeit via
> references. I am currently reading the docs to try and determine if it
> is sufficient for some of the requirements people have laid out for
> me. UN/CEFACT also will have to determine if the interchange format is
> also acceptable to endorse as the one and only standard to do this
> with. No judgment from me on that.
>
> While I find it not untruthful to say that "UML has a model
> interchange format", I find it a bit misleading in the fact that a
> more accurate statement might be "UML formally specifies use of XMI
> for model interchange". The use of XMI may have some implications -
> some of these are noted in the specification itself (see below).

mm1: Last year (yes 2004), ODETTE did an extensive project related to
their next generation data model that used XMI. They had to provide
significant constraint to the use of XMI because the interchange
UML=>XMI and XMI=>XML rendered many differing results even when
following the XMI specification. You might contact Patrick Chable re:
their work and next steps, Duane. if we want experience, ODETTE could
provide their input (patrick.chable@mpsa.com). Thanks.