Subject: Re: [regrep] Reg/Rep 1/20/2005: Comments on ebRS v3.0 Draft

Hi Monica,

Thanks for you good suggestions.

Monica J. Martin wrote:

> [general] spell check carefully

Auto spell check is hard/tedious due to many technical terms used in the
document. So I request people send in any mistakes they find as they
find them with proper line number + serach string references.

> [general] Should we consider breaking out the SAML profile similar to
> how WS-Security OASIS has approached the use of token profiles? One
> editorial motivator for asking this is the document is getting very
> long. Some of the specialized, advanced functions could be held in
> separate documents/appendices/etc.

It is a good idea but too late IMO for version 3. Lets consider for
version 4.

> [page 14, sections 1.4.1 or 1.4.2]
> [current] 1. Given we've defined WSDL for the registry, should we also
> cite the WSDL v1.1 reference?

This may make sense for version 4.
WSDL is not used as prevalently as XML Schema in the specs so personally
I think we could
cut scope and leave it as is for version 3.

> [Section 5.6.14] ReferencesExistException
>
>    is: "that is is"
>    should be: "that it is"

Fixed. Thanks.

> [page 51, Section 6.2-future] When we start to think about how the
> registry may be used in support of actual business processes, the
> importance of transactionality and state alignment/assurance become
> more important. Should we consider a constraint that transactionality
> capabilities may be required if query functions are used under certain
> circumstances (such as in the case of business content used in a
> business message for a business transaction)?
> [general-future] As the use of the registry expands to different
> functional areas, here are some thought areas: For example, the
> registry may be used to notify a party Buyer (such as a subscriber to
> a catalog) that a package of application products have been updated
> with three new components. That update could trigger a service that
> actually creates a new product catalog sent to an existing customer.
> In this case, the registry (roughly speaking) serves as a subparty in
> the process.
>
> Or, even more closely, the registry may be used in an actual business
> transaction pattern. For example, in an ebBP description, a Buyer
> queries a Seller via a service (which can be done now with
> OperationMapping) if it has product A with X, Y, Z capabilities. The
> query could actually be through the registry. The notification may be
> the response with the relevant data to the Buyer.  I've not actually
> though this through so be kind in your response. In that case,
> specific requirements may be levied on the BT pattern (query-response,
> as such) that it is reliable, secure and received in xx time, and
> whether SOAP can fulfill that requirement.

We discussed transaction support in last con call. Currently each RS
request is a separate transaction. In version 4 we plan to add ability
to define multiple tgransactions within one request and possibly single
transaction spanning multiple requests. I suggets we make no change in
version 3 regarding transactions.

> [page 73, Section 8.1.1.2] On validation of Business Processes,
> separate business content referenced in business process, from
> business process instance structrure, from business process instance
> itself, and the rules a partner assumes that the business process
> instance itself adheres to (which may be a business agreement, legal
> constraint, a particular businesses corporate practices, etc). I am
> uncertain how the registry would make the semantic checks without
> other tooling. An explanation would be helpful. In lieu of an
> explanation, here is change suggestion:
>
>    from: Content validation may be used to enforce consistency rules
>    and semantic checks whenever a Business Process is submitted to the
>    registry. This feature may be used by organizations such as
>    UN/CEFACT, OAGi, and RosettaNet.
>    to: Business process instance validation may be used to enforce
>    consistency rules and semantic checks whenever a Business Process is
>    submitted to the registry. This feature may be used by organizations
>    such as UN/CEFACT, OAGi, and RosettaNet.

Above text loses any mention of Content Validation feature of the
registry which is what the text is *ALL* about. Suggest we stick with
original text for that reason.

The idea is that the Content Validation feature provides a plugin
capability which can be used to plug in any web service that knows how
to validate the specific type of content (e.g. BPSS).