Subject: Re: [regrep] [RS Issue] Need clarification on comment on line 1410

Duane Nickull wrote:

> What about a status of "deprecated"?  It stays in for XX days.

Thats a good point. Why not just deprecate the object in the use case
that Matt decsribed.
That allows all existing references to work but prevents new references
to be added.

I suggest we make no change on this issue.

> Automatic notification to the owners of the references?

I think there should be no automatic notifications in the system because
notifications are expensive and should be tightly controlled.

> Duane
>
> Goran Zugic wrote:
>
>> I think that we should not allow a RegistryObject to be deleted if it
>> has
>> references to it. Having RegistryObjects that reference other
>> RegistryObjects that do not exist change basic referential integrity
>> principal.
>>
>> Matt's idea about routine business evolution cases makes sense to me
>> and I
>> agree that a Registry Administrator only could remove a referenced
>> RegistryObject.  The RegistryAdministrator should be allowed to do this
>> operation only if an object replacement is provided so that the
>> referential
>> integrity principal is still in place. I hope that a reference to new
>> object
>> could be added as the RemoveObjectsRequest attribute.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Goran
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Farrukh Najmi"
>> <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM>

>>> if any or to the AuditableEvent that marks its deletion if it has no
>>> replacement.
>>>
>>> Updating all references would be too costly IMO. The other issue is
>>> how to
>>> specify replacement object when deleting an object.
>>>
>>> I think it would be cleaner to simply by default allow an object to be
>>> deleted even if it has refrences to it and if define how dangling
>>> references should be handles by registry and clients. For example we
>>> could
>>> say that registry MUST return objects matching a query even if they
>>> have
>>> dangling references and that it should return
>>> UnresolvedReferenceException
>>> if client attempts to fetch the object by its reference using a
>>> query. As