Subject: [regrep - XML Schema draft 02 comment] Compendium

Hi,

I've aggregated my comments regarding rim.xsd. Three levels of severity
are distinguished:

MAJOR    - significant impact, should be resolved
MINOR    - inconsistency that might hinder implementation or
            interoperability
ADVISORY - an editorial tweak, correction, or clarification

No CRITICAL issues to report :-)

1 [MAJOR]: minOccurs="1" for xsd:any in QueryExpressionType prohibits
   direct use of simple query expressions. It should permit the inclusion
   of simple expressions that include no markup.

   minOccurs should be "0" to allow direct use of query strings (e.g.
   XPath, XQuery--we use these in our implementation). The existing mixed
   content model will allow such character content.

   <any namespace="##other" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" />

   Also note that @processContents is dropped--the default value is
   "strict" to require that an element declaration be available to the
   processor for validation purposes (even if validation is not actually
   performed in all cases).

   <documentation xml:lang="en">
   A query specified using any supported query language, as identified
   by the queryLanguage attribute. The mixed content model also
   accommodates queries expressed as simple strings.
   </documentation>

2 [MINOR]: Empty id in RegistryObjectType. A zero-length string is
   evidently _not_ a legal URI. The XML Schema spec (Part 2, 3.2.17.1)
   defers to RFC 2396 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>.

   The BNF is definitive. See Appendix A (p.26), in particular:

   rel_segment   = 1*( unreserved | escaped |
                           ";" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" | "$" | "," )

   Hence a zero-length character sequence _cannot_ be a legal URI value.

   Perhaps just amend the documentation to indicate that URIs that do
   not reflect the canonical syntax will be replaced with URNs generated
   in the usual manner.

3 [MINOR]: Amend referenceURI to reflect the canonical URN syntax for
   local object references by adding a pattern facet.

   <simpleType name="referenceURI">
     <annotation>
       <documentation xml:lang="en">
         referenceURI is used by reference attributes within RIM.
         Each attribute of type referenceURI references a RegistryObject
         with specified URN as id.
       </documentation>
     </annotation>
     <restriction base="anyURI">
       <pattern

value="urn:uuid:[\dA-Fa-f]{8}-[\dA-Fa-f]{4}-[\dA-Fa-f]{4}-[\dA-Fa-f]{4}-[\dA-Fa-f]{12}"
/>
     </restriction>
   </simpleType>

4 [ADVISORY]: Typo in documentation for AdhocQuery. And perhaps amend
   the text as follows to be a bit more informative:

   <documentation>
   Encapsulates all registry queries. A QueryExpression element is
   not required when invoking a stored query.
    </documentation>

   Perhaps rename this to eventSelector (or queryRef?).

6 [ADVISORY]: the redundant cardinality constraints on the sequence
   compositor in ExtrinsicObjectType and SpecificationLinkType can be
   removed.

--
Richard Martell         Public PGP key: <http://www.galdosinc.com/pgp/>
Galdos Systems, Inc.      tel: +1 604-484-2765  |  fax: +1 604-484-2755

Opinions, conclusions, recommendations, and other information presented
in this message are not given or necessarily endorsed by my employer or
firm. If the digital signature is invalid, I did not send this message.