Subject: FW: [ebxml-jc] ebJC 2/23/2005: Meeting Minutes 23 February 2005 and Next MeetingScheduling

Below are the minutes from the most recent ebXML JC meeting.  These
minutes include an update on status of the TCs.  Please let me know if
you have any additions, corrections, or comments regarding the status
for ebXML Registry work.

From: Monica J. Martin [mailto:Monica.Martin@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:11 AM
To: 'ebxml-jc@lists.oasis-open.org'
Cc: john hardin; john c hardin
Subject: [ebxml-jc] ebJC 2/23/2005: Meeting Minutes 23 February 2005 and
Next MeetingScheduling

Meeting minutes included below including draft status summary. I
encourage everyone to circulate this in their TC and provide
feedback/additions/corrections. I don't believe this is an extensive
hit-list of progress but an indicator of significant progress over
time.  In addition, for the next meeting which if in two weeks would be
9 March 2005, I will be in Germany and unable to facilitate the call.
May I ask that we defer to 16 March 2005? Please let me know if there
are any objections.
On the summary, Ian, it has been requested you add more specific
details/plans on ebMS v3.0. Thanks.

Meeting Minutes and Status Summary Draft ==============================
ebXML JC call 23 February 2005

Present:
Breininger
Durand
Hardin
Moberg
Martin

Regrets:
Jones

Agenda:
1. ebXML adoption initiative - and user community requirements
channeling - Status => See #3.

2. Update on integration and functional separation between specs - e.g.
ebBP and CPPA alignment (Martin) => Deferred discussion.

3. White paper (Martin): Awaiting inputs from Breininger for Reg/Rep.=>
White paper outline reforwarded 9 February 2005.
Martin: Preliminary inputs received from Reg/Rep. More work required.

[add] Status summary (related to white paper and external messaging):
Martin: Discussed this more with J. Clark; external messaging desired.
Moberg: Analysts are asking about ebXML progress.
Durand: Is there a deadline for this summary? Want to give a more
concrete date for ebMS. We have a pending update for security and
reliability. Query Ian specifically for a projected date for Committee
Draft progress.
Martin: No date set. Will contact Clark to discuss further.

ACTION: MARTIN CONTACT CLARK RE: EXTERNAL MESSAGING (USING STATUS
SUMMARY AS BASELINE AFTER INPUTS RECEIVED).
CONTACT MADE 23 FEB 2005

4. Other business
a. ebSOA status and ebXML JC
John Hardin in attendance
Hardin: Introduction: 15 year IT experience, 10 years experience in
mission critical applications development
ebSOA has started and the first meeting was held week of 14 February
2005.
Team: Other JC introductions.
Martin: What about ebSOA progress and plans?
Hardin: Bring new energy to this group. Focus on ebSOA usage guidelines
and specification document. How to compose the ebXML set of
specifications that map to SOA need to be articulated. Show how to
compose these service capabilities in the context of SOA. Seeking
guidance.
Martin: Can we work together on white paper on composability?
Hardin: Yes. We anticipate even more complexity, such as ebMS v3.0 for
other web services technologies. Usage guidelines should have an
enterprise architectural focus. Other documents may be used by SOA RM
and leveraged by ebSOA. Documents seek to increase understanding on how
to use the specs together.
Breininger: Non-normative at this point.
Moberg: This is more inline with the original focus of the ebSOA. We
originally thought we would see an architectural update for the new
ebXML work.
Hardin: How does SOA reference model relate to ebSOA? Nickull's focus is

an abstract reference model that may be applied to an SOA (include
semantic web, web services, and ebXML), and allow other SOAs to point
to. SOAs can be structurally compliant or not. ebSOA will develop
patterns that can draw similarities and differences, and encourage
interoperability, with ebXML and web services.
Martin: Is there a task list or issues?
Hardin: Not yet. Appoint editors next week.
Moberg: These documents will give us some scope and architectural ideas
to agree with, for example. It could also leverage recent discussions
such as on ebMS-CPPA-ebBP discussion on Messaging Service Interface-BSI.

Each of us could talk about our own architectural perspective for each
of the associated specifications.
Team: Concur to jointly develop white paper together.
Hardin: Agreed and will participate for ebSOA in ebXML-JC.

Event notice for 23 February 2005 =================================
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-jc/event.php?event_id
=7163
Also forwarded to ebMS, CPPA and BP teams.
Notice should also be sent to ebXML IIC in the future.

Summary (sent 23 February 2005)
===============================
Question: On future update, add CC, architecture.
Question: On future update, do we add adoption indicators.
Pending: JC/TC review of summaries

Summary of specification progress within OASIS:
JC reference (original draft):
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-jc/email/archives/200
502/msg00012.html

Slightly updated:

    * ebMS: v3.0 (in work, draft)
          o Draft in work. F2F held in January 2005, however progress
            has been slower than anticipated with a small group.
            Although progress has been slow, key changes are in work
            such as integration with WS-Reliability, payload services,
            security improvements, WS-I BP conformance, at a minimum.
          o Working document reference:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-msg/download.php/1137
3/wd-ebms-3_0.html
            (February 2005)
          o Status: May meet at OASIS symposium. No projected date for
            v3.0 Committee Draft status.
    * ebReg/Rep v3.0 (Committee Drafts, public review)
          o v3.0 RIM and RS achieved Committee Draft in February 2005.
            Public review has begun towards OASIS standard.
          o Review notice: Public review continues to 14 March 2005.
            Significant improvements have been made including SAML
            support, WS-I BP compliance, event notification, content
            management capabilities, etc.
          o Specification references:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/regrep/document.php?documen
t_id=11383
          o FAQ summary: http://www.ebxml.org/ebusinessxmlregistry.pdf
          o Capabilities summary update:
            http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2005-02-14-a.html (from Cover
Pages)
    * ebCPPA v2.1 (in work, draft)
          o Errata v2.1 distributed in draft form in early February
            2005. Work continues slowly on negotiation and alignment
            with ebMS and ebBP specification development in the areas of
            role bindings, transactions, etc. Progress has been made in
            abstracting some of the ebCPPA concepts to enable effective
            use of many underlying protocols such as those for web
            services, AS2, etc.
          o Errata v2.1 reference:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-cppa/document.php?doc
ument_id=11280
    * ebBP: v2.0 (in work, TC review of working draft starts 23 Feb
2005)
          o Working draft is entering formal TC review starting today,
            23 February 2005. Package includes schema, XSLT example
            transform for v1.01=>2.0 migration, signals schema and
            example, comments and work item list, glossary. Many
            improvements have been made in state transitions,
            composability (ComplexBTA and OperationMapping), role
            binding and monitoring constructs. In addition, the BT
            patterns have been concretized and extensible patterns
            developed to enable the user community.
          o Working package was uploaded (and then revised) 22 February
            2005. A pre-notification has been developed for key user
            communities to solicit early comments and investment. This
            will be distributed after the working draft enters the TC
            formal review (internal only) in preparation for Committee
            Draft vote.
          o Specification draft reference:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-bp/email/archives/200
502/msg00136.html
          o Pre-notification reference:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-bp/email/archives/200
502/msg00135.html

    * ebXML IIC v1.1 (Committee Draft package)
          o In January 2005, the IIC updated its conformance and
            interoperability packages including the IIC framework and
            achieved v1.1
          o Committee Draft status. This v1.1 update provides many
            improvements, and has also resulted in a freely available
            implementation
          o from NIST. Improvements include more comprehensive web
            services and ebXML testing support. The team has also been
            working with OASIS on interoperability planning for expanded
            activities within OASIS standardization development and with
            a TAB subteam that is investigating how to rationalize
            conformance criteria (including informal discussions with
W3C).
          o NIST open implementation: http://ebxmltesting.nist.gov/.
            Three implementations have been conducted by NIST, Korbit,
            and Drake Certivo.
          o v1.1 IIC Committee Drafts:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-iic/document.php?docu
ment_id=10896