Subject: Re: [regrep] [Namespace Manager Proposal] FW: XMLNDR [Broken URL]RE: XMLNDR PURLs, Handles, URLs, URNs & Namespaces

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> Back in January 2002 I submitted a proposal to our list for a "Namespace
> Manager" function. The archive link is forever gone, and Robin Cover
> asked me to send him a summary of the highlights of that proposal. I am
> sending this to refresh our collective memories of this proposal, as we
> look toward version 4.0 (hint hint;)
>
> Ironically (as you can see from the right side of the e-mail subject) I
> sent the archive URL in support of a discussion on persistent
> identifiers on the "U.S. Federal XML Naming and Design Rules" listserv,
> and subsequently discovered that it was a broken link.:p
>
> To those in the U.S.: Happy Labor Day weekend.
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Chiusano
> Booz Allen Hamilton
> O: 703-902-6923
> C: 202-251-0731
> Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com
[... see http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200509/msg00010.html ]

Joe and TC,

1) It does appear that some 2000-2500 messages (est.) are now missing
   from the TC's email list archive, for years 2002 and earlier

2) I have communicated my concern to the OASIS administration, hopeful
   that we can have the resources restored to their canonical URIs
   within a short time.  Subsequent to posting my note referenced in
   "3)", I observed that at least some of the messages are stored
   on the WayBack machine, including Joe's lost posting from the regrep
   archive

3) I have conveyed a message of [unofficial] apology to the FED-XML-NDR
   community within which this discovery of AWOL resources was
   discovered:

   https://fed-xml-ndr.core.gov/servlets/ReadMsg?list=listserv&msgNo=449

4) In principle, I think OASIS is committed to the practice of
   "not breaking links" to resources for which the organization has
   published dereferenceable URIs.  What may be needed is a policy
   which implements, in tangible business terms, a strategy to
   ensure that links are not broken, to monitor the websites for
   resources gone AWOL, and to repair inadvertently broken links.

5) The larger discussion about "broken links" on the FED-XML-NDR list
   prompted me to write up a renewed appeal for technologists to
   insist upon instititional commitments to the preservation of
   public resources and the preservation of links to resources
   identified with dereferenceable URIs.

   I append a portion of this note below, asking for the participation
   of members on the ebXML Regrep TC, in any forum where you
   participate, in raising consciousness about the role (I believe)
   we play in correcting this widespread problem of resource
   deterioration.  The deplorable situation will change, it seems to me,
   only when all of us demand commitment, policy, and vigilance on the
   part of jurisdictions and institutions responsible for persistent
   resources and links.

   If the perspective adopted in the note below is defensible (you
   be the judge! - but it's optional reading), there is fundamentally
   no excuse, in mid 2005, for broken links.  Radically revising our
   common expectations and calling public institutions to account for
   data loss are probably prerequisite to seeing substantial changes.
   Shrugging our shoulders and saying "That's the Web" is no solution.

Thanks,

Robin Cover

================= Note on resource "persistence" follows:

[...]

As a matter of personal judgment, I believe there is now consensus
technical opinion that accessible Web technologies, informed by
sound principles of Web Architecture [2], are now *more than adequate*
to support both resource and link persistence: institutions
(as URI owners) that exhibit, through public behavior, doubt
about the adequacy of this available technology, are apparently:

a) uninformed [e.g., unaware that HTTP and free server software
   provide the means to manage resource/link persistence]
b) unwilling to commit (axiologically) to core principles and
   values about resource/link persistence
c) unwilling to commit resources to ensure resource/link
   persistence
d) incompetent in one or more ways possibly related to "a)" - "c)"
e) did I miss anything in a-e ?  Maybe also: "inattentive"
   as a sub-species of a-c

Although the terminology used to describe URI persistence is a
bit problematic sometimes [3], I believe there is now general agreement
with principles articulated in the W3C Web Architecture document,
viz.,

  [We share a] "social expectation that once a URI identifies
  a particular resource, it should continue indefinitely to
  refer to that resource."

combined with resource persistence (a dereferenced URI gets you
the resource consistently and predictably):

  "A URI owner SHOULD provide representations of the identified
  resource consistently and predictably."

These values and principles were expressed in a poorly-titled [4]
document "Cool URIs don't change", written in 1998 [5].

The core assertion is captured in the first forty-eight words of
that 1998 TBL memo:

  "What makes a cool URI?
  A cool URI is one which does not change.
  What sorts of URI change?
  URIs don't change: people change them.
  There are no reasons at all in theory for people to change
  URIs (or stop maintaining documents), but millions of
  reasons in practice."

The plausible excuses for breaking links commonly offered by
people in 1998 are now, in 2005, simply lame excuses:

* "We just reorganized our website to make it better."
* "We have so much material that we can't keep track of what is
   out of date and what is confidential and what is valid and
   so we thought we'd better just turn the whole lot off."
* "Well, we found we had to move the files..."
* "We used to use a cgi script for this and now we use a binary
   program."
* "I didn't think URLs have to be persistent - that was URNs."
* "We would like to, but we just don't have the right tools."

Since 1998, web resources, tools, and technologies have improved
dramatically, making it easier than ever to support the
preservation and integrity of Web-accessible resources.

* the cost of disk storage has plummeted faster than for
  semiconductors, according to Kryder's Law ("Moore's Law for
  Storage"), -- the "doubling of processor speed every 18 months
  is a snail's pace compared with rising hard-disk capacity"
  One can get a 300 gigabyte Barracuda for just $150 [6].

* HTTP (1.0, 1.1) [7] is now widely supported by open source (free,
  publicly available) server software which provides web site
  administrators (as URI owners) with rich tools for managing
  predictable, stable, and "indefinite/persistent" support
  for published URIs, even in the face of moving web sites
  or otherwise re-architecting enterprise web server
  topologies.  See for example the free Apache Server [8], which
  has binaries for UNIXes and Win32, with support for rule-based
  URL rewriting, mapping URLs to filesystem locations, content
  negotiation, use of virtual hosts, etc. [9]

* generic web analysis and monitoring tools now make it easy to
  detect the existence of broken links; their statistical modules
  help interpret the results for web site administrators, providing
  early notification when something has gone wrong

In the context of this FED-XML-NDR discussion, within earshot of
some very important (government) policy-makers, I am thrilled to
read statements of general concern about "Broken URLs."  It's
a plague and a scourge upon the Web, as is commonly lamented.
Part of the solution, I believe, is to reshape public expectations
based upon the conviction that there are NO (or few) valid
excuses for breaking links.  Institutions that elect to use
BAD software ('broken as designed') which cannot even be configured
to maintain persistent links/resources should be called to
public account.  Institutions (jurisdictions) that demonstrate
negligible commitment to preservation of resources and links
should likewise be called to public account.  IMO.

In addition to individual and institutional commitment to resource
persistence, it will help to design architectures within which
the preservation of resources and links is consciously planned
for, and optimized, rather than ignored.  I'm happy for Owen
Ambur's statements of support, and for Todd Vincent's words, "The
system I have been describing accomplishes this requirement." [10]

As as aside, I have noted the increasing popularity of RDDL
(Resource Directory Description Language) as a method of
providing something informative when designers want to create
http (scheme) URI namespace names that do not directly resolve
under HTTP/DNS to the XML Schema (resource). The RDDL
"namespace document" is a simple [enhanced] XHTML document
that lives at the end of a dereferenced http URI namespace,
convening information about the nature and purpose(s) of the
resource associates with the namespace URI, including
typically, (URI-reference) hyperlinks to schemas, specifications,
editor contacts, etc.

See http://xml.coverpages.org/rddl.html

Thanks,

Robin Cover
[speaking only personally and unofficially]
XML Cover Pages
http://xml.coverpages.org/

* please send corrections to this message via email:
  robin@oasis-open.org