Subject: RE: iECM Face to Face, Business Case WG summary

To address the issue David raised: there is a distinction between a
registry and a repository.  One simple analogy to help explain the
difference is to think of your university library as an example.  When
you search the university's online library catalog, you will retrieve
results which are records describing the items the library owns.  These
records include descriptive information about specific items such as the
title, the author, the publication date, the subjects covered, etc.
This is the "Registry".  In other words, the library catalog can be
thought of as a "registry".

The catalog record (registry record) also includes information which
tells you where you can find the actual item itself. In many cases, this
location information is in the form of the Library of Congress
Classification or Dewey Decimal Classification, which is how print
materials will be organized on the physical shelves.  The print
materials themselves are stored on the library shelves.  This is the
"repository" piece.  In the case of electronic content, this
"repository" may simply be a file server or share somewhere where the
"stuff" is located.

So, in a system which includes a registry and repository, you will
frequently have descriptive records that describe the items (registry),
and a location where all the items are hosted (repository).   The items
that are described can be any type of thing, electronic or a physical
item, and the repository where they are stored may be a physical
location (drawer, shelf, box) or electronic (database, file server,
share).

Hope this helps.

Kathryn Breininger
OASIS ebXML Registry Technical Committee Chair

Boeing Library Services