Subject: RE : [regrep] Canonical XML Validation Service?

Hi Farrukh,
I agree to extend the validation service and schematron seems to me a good candidate.

I've two question:
1. don't you think that the specific mechanism for validation is an implementation issue ? In this case we can only reccomend schematron usage.
2. seeing the CCTS profile we have several use cases where validation control service have to verify also that submitted data are consistents (ex: the name of the association component must be a composition of the two associated aggregate component; a basic component with qualifier attribute not null must be linked by an aggregate component;...)
Do you think that schematron, or other, can fill this feature?

Many thanks.
Ivan

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Envoyé : mercredi 16 novembre 2005 16:54
À : regrep@lists.oasis-open.org
Objet : [regrep] Canonical XML Validation Service?

Dear Colleagues,

As you know we have a required Canonical XML Cataloging Service in ebRS
that specifies use of XSLT stylesheets as invocation control file for
cataloging XML Content.
This is a very powerful feature because it allows declarative
alternative to programming a cataloging service for objectTypes that are
XML based.

For the next version of our specs, I would like to propose that we do
the same concept with a new "Canonical XML Validation Service" that
specifies use of Schematron language as invocation control file for
validating XML Content. This would enable a declarative alternative to
programming a validation service for objectTypes that are XML based.

Consider the case for specifying business rules required by the "ebXML
Profile for Web Services". The following example illustrates how simply
it could be expressed in Schematron rather than programming a validation
service:

<schema xmlns="http://www.ascc.net/xml/schematron";>
    <title>A Schematron rules file for validating WSDL according to the
ebXML Registry profile for Web Services</title>
  <pattern name="Section 6.2 Business Rules: First rule">
    <rule context="wsdl:binding">
      <assert test="soap:binding">Validation Error: WSDL Binding MUST be
a SOAP Binding</assert>
    </rule>
  </pattern>
  <pattern name="Section 6.2 Business Rules: Second rule">
    <rule context="soap:binding">
      <assert test="string(@style) = 'document'">Validation Error: WSDL
SOAP Binding MUST use Document style</assert>
    </rule>
  </pattern>
  <pattern name="Section 6.2 Business Rules: Second rule">
    <rule context="soap:binding">
        <assert test="string(@transport) =
'http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http'">Validation Error: WSDL SOAP
Binding MUST use HTTP transport</assert>
    </rule>
  </pattern>
</schema>

As you can see this is a very powerful feature as the alternative is to
program a validation service as a SOAP endpoint and deploy it somewhere. With this feature it is all self-contained within the registry.

What do folks think of adding this as a feature in next version of the
specs?