Subject: RE: [regrep] Pre-Holiday Registry Riddle (Requesting Quick Feedback)

Miko.

Some people may argue that the more useless and intractable the data - the more likely it is to be metadata... ; -)

Traditionally when people think data - they are thinking of business-data - aka information about tangible real world stuff and things - rather than abstract data about data itself that relates to things, material or otherwise...

Although I have seen no less an authority than Dan Paolini argue that there is no such things as metadata really - so who am I here to even suggest such a distinction?!?

http://www.dama-phila.org/DanPaolini-EnterpriseApproachtoMetadataManagement.pdf
But as Dan rightly points out - its Convergence that counts - stupid!

Let's hope for more registry utilization and more convergence in 2006!!

DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [regrep] Pre-Holiday Registry Riddle (Requesting Quick
Feedback)
From: "Miko Matsumura" <mmatsumura@infravio.com>
Date: Tue, January 03, 2006 12:39 pm
To: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>, "ebXML Regrep"
<regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

Trick question...Metadata is data. (sorry for the non-answer)

I know, people want to know if it's one or the other--if I were forced to choose I would say data, since it's a repository as well as a registry. Since metadata is data, you can say it holds data (and also the data that happens to be about data).

Happy New Year!
Miko