Subject: RE: [regrep] Title suggestion for Webinar

Farrukh,

My point is that "system of record" is just one isolated use case for Registry.

I see that registry is being used for geospatial coordination, secure patient record federation, semantic XML content, document cataloguing, and so on.

The SOA system of record is IMHO way too narrow here.  The ebxml registry is not just a UDDI look-a-like for SOA as its main purpose...

Of course the real SOA use case here is articulated by OASIS BCM spec's and registry model - but then we'd have to explain BCM first ; -)

Anyway - you all are doing the present not me - I guess next time I can sign up to do

"ebXML Registry - Beyond SOA System of Record"

; -)

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Farrukh S. Najmi" <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, May 12, 2007 1:32 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: ebXML Regrep <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

Based on my customer experience, Governance is the most pressing need in SOA today
and fortunately that is precisely where RegRep helps the most.

"Enabling" is too fuzzy and does not capture the central role that RegRep plays in SOA which is
that it is "The System of Record" for SOA deployments. My wife acuses me of being an "enabler"
for my children's delinquencies ;-)

You can see that point being drilled home by practically anyone who is selling a SOA Repository:

Infravio:
"Create a system of record for your SOA metadata – policies, schema, .docs, performance ..."
<http://www1.webmethods.com/PDF/datasheets/Infravio_X-Registry_Datasheet.pdf>

Systinet:
"Systinet provides the “system of record” for SOA and ... Must provide the “system of record”"
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17235/Systinet%20Registry%20NASA%20Presentation%203-15-06.pdf>

IBM WSRR:
"In this context, WSRR handles the metadata management aspects of operational services and provides the system of record of these metadata artefacts "
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sr.doc/cwsr_overview_overview04.html>

BEA:
"The BEA AquaLogic Service Registry, through an embedded governance framework, acts as a central location for managing the services life cycle. It makes an SOA more transparent by serving as the system of record where services..."
<http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/BEAS/124821163x0x84099/9502bab0-de1a-4a7c-b20a-292459a97a24/q3BEA%20At%20A%20Glance.pdf>
"It provides a system-of-record for these policies and is used to define and enforce business policies. enlarge. AquaLogic Service Registry is employed ..."
<http://es.bea.com/products/aqualogic/service_registry>

Oracle:
"leverage Oracle Service Registry to publish and advertise services and enable ... It also serves as the System of Record for all. "
<http://www.oracle.com/technologies/soa/oracle-soa-suite-datasheet.pdf >

Tibco:
"TIBCO ActiveMatrix Registry is a standards-. based system of record for discovering, ..."
<http://www.tibco.com/resources/software/soa/ds_activematrix_registry.pdf>

Actional:
"A SOA system of record, or registry, is designed to be a central holding place for information about service consumers, providers, policies, ..."
<http://www.actional.com/resources/webinars/SOA-Lifecycle/SOA-System.html >

IONA:
"
Artix Registry/Repository enables customers to design, build, deploy and manage a network of business services by providing a complete system of record of ..."
<http://
www.iona.com/pressroom/2007/20070326.htm >

SOA Software:
"
All SOA Software products rely on an underlying UDDIv3 Registry as a core repository and system of record for service data. The product are all fully ..."
<
www.soa.com/index.php/section/products/registry_manager/>

For this reason I feel *very strongly* about "The System of Record"  part of the title as that is precisely the role of RegRep in SOA.

If the term "governance" is an issue then how about:

"
OASIS ebXML Registry and Repository
The System of Record for SOA Deployments
"

Thanks.

David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
Farrukh,

You need something catchy, short and to the point -

 OASIS ebXML Registry Repository - enabling SOA solutions
Since OASIS is the sponsor - no need to muddy the waters with inserting ISO too.

Also - the aim should be to catch peoples interest - and have them attend - not drive them away!!!

So your title is to specific - what if the reader thinks - "huh - my business needs are nothing to do with "governance" - my CFO just wants me to help sales of more widgets".

Perhaps I do need to understand possible "SOA solutions" for that.

Think marketing - not technobabble  ; -)