Subject: Checkout, lock, merge, checkin features

In RegRep 3.0 we successfully delivered a versioning feature that has
been received very well by user community.
In this work we deliberately set a narrowly focused scope to make sure
we addressed the core need for registry managed version control for
registry managed artifacts.

With much experience with the versioning feature from various RegRep
deployments I have worked on, an area where we are currently lacking is
to provide more advanced versioning features such as Checkout, lock,
merge and checkin features that are expected from a more full-featured
version control system.

I have received requests for these features from multiple users.
Incidentally, These features are also the main functional gap when we
compare ebXML RegRep with repositories like Apache JackRabbit.

I would like to propose that we add these features as key requirements
for version 4 of RegRep specs and request 5 or ten minutes in our
meeting agenda to discuss this idea when possible. I will put a more
detailed proposal in our wiki in the next few days as time allows.

Please share your thoughts and experience regarding the importance of
these features in our future work.
Thanks.