Subject: Make ServiceBinding an ExtrinsicObject subtype with independentlifecycle

Dear colleagues,

Here is the external feedback I received privately from Oliver Newell of
MIT Lincoln Labs:

"
I looked over the proposed Service Model changes for regrep and had a
thought on the ServiceBinding

 From section 2.7.1 of the WSDL 2.0 spec

"Conversely, a Binding <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding>
component which omits any operation-specific binding details and any
fault binding details MAY omit specifying an interface. Binding
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding> components that do not
specify an interface MAY be used to specify operation-independent
binding details for Service
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Service> components with
different interfaces. That is, such Binding
<http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#component-Binding> components are reusable
across one or more interfaces"

I think the idea behind this is be able to specify generic binding
mechanisms instead of having to repeat them for every service, as was
typically done in WSDL 1.1.  I think the bindings possible contain more
information than just 'SOAP' or 'HTTP', but variants of those with
different security settings, message exchange patterns, etc..   So
perhaps bindings do have their own independent lifecyle?  If so, I guess
the ServiceEndpoint would have a 'hasBinding' association to an
independent ServiceBinding object?
"

I think The quote from section 2.7.1 is pretty clear in stating that
under certain restrictions a Binding may be reused across services.
Therefor I agree with Oliver's suggestion that we keep ServiceBinding in
RegRep 4 as a separate top level class with its independent lifecycle
and relate it to a Service via 'HasBinding" association. Such a class
should be derived from ExtrinsicObject (so it can have wsdl attached).

TC members please comment on email list. I would like to get approval of
this change request via email if possible given that it is so obvious an
improvement.
Thanks.

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Managing services and data sets produced/consumed by services is a
> very important use case for RegRep.
>
> I have been working on harmonizing various Service Information model
> that are dominant today.
> The experience suggests that perhaps we should consider improving our
> ServiceInformationModel
> for RegRep 4 to better reflect the needs of the user community.
>
> I have started a wiki page on this topic at:
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/serviceModel>
>
> Please review the page so discuss in our next meeting as a planned
> agenda item.
> Thank you.

Farrukh Najmi