Subject: Re: [regrep] Proposed change to Classification Infomodel

Please see inline below...

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Nikola and I have had discussed in-depth thoughts on refining the last
> changes we agreed upon for Classification Infomodel.
>
> Here is a summary of what we suggest refining:
>
>    * Use nested Parent elements inside a ClassificationNode to
>      reference parent TaxonomyElement instead of using HasChild
>      Associations from parent to child.

I have just discovered a flaw with above proposed change. The problem I
see is that the proposal would create an ObjectRef entry for every
reference from child to Parent via Parent sub-element. This would create
duplicate id problems within database implementations as each ObjectRef
to same object would use same id (id of referenced object).

I cannot see a way to make above proposal work. Thus I retract above
aspect of the proposal. See more inline below.

>          o It is more similar to when we had a single parent attribute
>            in ClassificationNode
>          o It is more obvious a schema
>          o It may (or may not) be a more efficient schema to implement
>    * Add statement that nested ClassificationNode syntax would be
>      supported as a convenience but only with single inheritance
> semantics

Above aspect of proposal still makes sense to me.

>    * Retract suggestion to make Classification a sub-class of
> Association.
>          o Impact of breaking backward compatibility in this area is
>            not worth the gain.

Above aspect of proposal still makes sense to me.

> The revised proposal is at wiki page:
>
> <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/classificationModel>
>

> Note that last agreed upon changes are retained for now under heading
> "Current Decisions for RegRep4".
>
> I would like to get agreement on proposed changes. Once we agree we
> can update wiki to reflect new agreement status of proposal.
> Lets discuss via email and if needed at next meeting.
>
> BTW, my notes say we are meeting on this Wednesday at 11am ET/ 8AM/PT
> instead of this Thursday as a one time thing. Please let me know if
> that is a mistake.

Thanks Kathryn for confirming above time for our next meeting in a
separate email.

Farrukh Najmi