Subject: Update from OGC Meeting

Dear colleagues,

I just came back from the Open Geospatial Consortium meeting in Atlanta.
Recall that OGC already leverages ebRIM 3.0 spec as a profile of their
Catalog
specification.

RegRep was quite visible at the meeting. On Monday, at the search summit
I presented the following:

<http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com/files/ogc-search-summit-regrep-sep-2008.pdf>

There was a talk at the opening plenary by a representative from
government of Denmark
that suggested that OGC should consider adopting ebRS in addition to
ebRIM in future.

There was also a talk in the Catalog working group meeting that provided
end-user
perspective and justification for further adoption of RegRep specs
within OGC. At the same
meeting I presented the following presentation on RegRep 4:

<http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com/files/ogc-cat-regrep4-sep-2008.pdf>

All these RegRep related talks were well received by the OGC community.

Given the level of interest, it would be good if we can get RegRep 4
spec work started in earnest now.
Lets discuss the OGC meeting and the spec work at our next meeting.

One specific question I have for Mary and OASIS is whether we can /
should develop our specs using an ISO spec template.
The motivation would be to reduce the effort when OASIS eventually
submit the spec for ISO approval.

Looking forward to our next meeting to discuss these issues further. Thanks.

Farrukh Najmi