Subject: RE: [regrep] Issue-98: Need to specify association propogation semanticsfor versioning

Farrukh,

My way of viewing this has always been to have a minimalistic approach.

So that - when this occurs - it is NOT necessary to ship out whole boxes full of XML content across the ether - but rather to simply retain linkage - and have a systematic tree of links to traverse - most likely virtually - rather than physically - so that if someone does want to retrieve prior content - or more likely - a directory tree that shows available prior content available - then they can quickly get at this - and then reference to the actual content accordingly can occur if they specifically request something.

I guess this is "just in time" content delivery - in that the methods allow you to deduce the chain of ownership back to the original source - without actually having to carry that all around necessarily physically.

So when something is updated - it is only necessary to update the "tip of the tree".  Similarly - a querying system need only check if a particular point on the tree has been superceded - that it has reference to - and then at that point it can request an update.   This significantly reduces the overhead - and only requires that entirely new content be distributed.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [regrep] Issue-98: Need to specify association propogation
semantics for versioning
From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, July 14, 2009 1:53 pm
To: ebXML Regrep <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Please discuss your thoughts on this issue and proposed resolution:
>
> <http://wxforge.wx.ll.mit.edu:8080/jira/browse/REGREPTC-98>

Having thought about this some more we need to narrow the semantics as
follows:

* When a RegistryPackage gets versioned, a server MUST propogate
members of the old version to the new version
* MUST a RegistryPackage member gets versioned it MUST replace the
older version as member within all RegistryPackages that have
"Draft" status

There are too many corner cases in association propagation so we need to
be very careful and tight in what we specify as propagation semantics.

Please think through this carefully and share comments.