Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [JIRA] Updated: (REGREPTC-118) Need QueryResponseto allow returning non-RegistryObjectList response such as a SPARQL response.]

Yes we could create a SPARQLQueryResponse as an extension of QueryResponse. However, it seems to me that having this sort of core extensibility is better. If we do the proposed way then the OWL profile and other profiles need not defione any extension schema at all.

Note that XML Schema best practices suggest liberally sprinkling <xsd:any> all over your schema. I tend to use them like Cod Liver oil (only when needed):

<http://www.xfront.com/ExtensibleContentModels.html#BestPractice>

The proposed solution is a one size fits all solution that will handle not just SPARQL but many other query response formats.

David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
20091022103931.dc066b1d4d2e0a1a65719ae85a8071e6.d50869c4f6.wbe@email.secureserver.net" type="cite">
Farrukh,

Do we really want xsd:any in response type?

I prefer something more explicit - such as an attribute token - and then at least you know what to expect back.

Is the issue that we just want to include various OWL component types?  If so - I would have thought we can create an OWL-types extension and have that - rather than leaving it completely open ended for implementers to have to cope with.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [regrep] [Fwd: [JIRA] Updated: (REGREPTC-118) Need
QueryResponse to allow returning non-RegistryObjectList response such as
a SPARQL response.]
From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, October 22, 2009 12:49 pm
To: ebXML Regrep <regrep@lists.oasis-open.org>

Dear colleagues,

Please comment on this new issue and proposed solution.

Note that this allows the following spec content to be written for OWL profile 2.0:

QueryResponse Requirements

A server MUST process a SPARQL query and return its response within a QueryResponse. The following additional requirements are defined for a server to return a QueryResponse for a SPARQL query:

  • A server MUST process the SPARQL query according to [SPARQL] within the context of the OWL content published within its repository. Specifically a server SHOULD NOT need to query its Registry metadata to process the SPARQL query

  • A server MUST return the SPARQL response as a sparqlx:sparql element in the SPARQL Query Results XML Format as specified by [SPARQLX]

  • The sparqlx:sparql MUST be the child element of the query:QueryResponse element
    This part of the spec relies on core query.xsd schema to be fixed per issue 118. We assume there will be an xs:any added to rs:RegistryResponseType which is extended by query:QueryResponse.

  • The QueryResponse element SHOULD NOT have a query:RegistryObjectsList child element

The following example shows SPARQL response within a QueryResponse:

<query:QueryResponse ...>

<sparqlx:sparql>

</sparqlx:sparql>
<query:QueryResponse>