Subject: Re: [regrep] [Fwd: [JIRA] Updated: (REGREPTC-118) Need QueryResponseto allow returning non-RegistryObjectList response such as a SPARQL response.]

Hi David,

I have found a way to reuse the existing xs:any in rim:AnyValueType to return SPARQL query response in a query:QueryResponse.
This eliminates the need to add a new xs:any to the response schema as proposed earlier. With the following spec below there is no need for a shchema change in core schemas. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Below is the new spec content regarding SPARQL query response...

QueryResponse Requirements

A server MUST process a SPARQL query and return its response within a QueryResponse. The following additional requirements are defined for a server to return a QueryResponse for a SPARQL query:

  • A server MUST process the SPARQL query according to [SPARQL] within the context of the OWL content published within its repository. Specifically a server SHOULD NOT need to query its Registry metadata to process the SPARQL query

  • A server MUST return the SPARQL response as a sparqlx:sparql element in the SPARQL Query Results XML Format as specified by [SPARQLX]

  • The sparqlx:sparql MUST be the child element of a rim:Slot/rim:ValueList/rim:ValueListItem of type rim:AnyValueType within a Slot with name “urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:profile:webontology:2.0:sparqlResponse” and a dataType of “urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:profile:webontology:2.0:sparql” within the query:QueryResponse element

  • The QueryResponse element SHOULD NOT have a query:RegistryObjectsList child element

The following example shows SPARQL response within a QueryResponse:

<query:QueryResponse ...>
  <rim:Slot name="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:profile:webontology:2.0:sparqlResponse"
    dataType="urn:oasis:names:tc:ebxml-regrep:profile:webontology:2.0:sparql">
    <rim:ValueList>
      <rim:ValueListItem xsi:type="rim:AnyValueType">
        <sparqlx:sparql>
        <sparqlx:sparql>

      </rim:ValueListItem>
    </rim:ValueList>
  </rim:Slot>
</query:QueryResponse>

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
Hi David,

We already use xs:any in our schema. This is not a new pattern. Implementations should ignore any elements that the core spec or profiles they implement do not specify. I am not quite seeing how this is different than existing use of xs:any where we need to allow profiles to define extend the content models.

The reason for using xs:any rather than a new OWL Profile specific sub-type is to make extension easier for profiles without needing to define new schemas.

David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
Farrukh,

That's fine for OWL - but ANYONE can start putting any content in here - not just OWL.

Then that becomes a problem.  Including insertion attacks BTW...