Subject: RE: [regrep] Proposed resolution for Element substitution issue

Hi all,

The proposed resolution for REGREPTC-120 is fine.

By way of summary, here's the argument in favour of not prohibiting element
substitutions (REGREPTC-120):

* better compatibility with v3, which declared element substitution groups
  other specs rely on (e.g. OGC:CSW-ebRIM); a major revision doesn't _require_
  backwards-incompatible changes!

* makes extensibility points more transparent to profilers by explicitly
  indicating where extension elements may appear;

* the use of element substitution groups is a very widespread XML Schema
  practice (e.g. ISO:19136,19139,191xx; OASIS:XACML; NIEM; OGC:KML;
  FAA/EUROCONTROL:AIXM).

The dichotomy between element- and type-substitution is wired deeply
into XML Schema, and after 10 years no consensus has arisen; indeed, it
lives on in current v1.1 drafts. So personally I'm inclined to remain
ecumenical on this point, but will go with the majority opinion.

P.S.
In my experience tool support tends to be haphazard; some readily support
both substitution mechanisms, others offer only partial support for XML
Schema.

--
Richard