Subject: Meeting minutes: June 22, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Todays meeting had a lot of details to capture which I have tried to do to the best of my ability...

Attendees: Farrukh, Reagan, Carl, Kathryn, Nikola
Agenda:
1. Approval of Minutes (notes from  January 5th?)

Approved

2. Minute taker (volunteer needed - last minute takers: (Farrukh, Farrukh, Farrukh, Oliver, Farrukh, Richard, Farrukh, Kathryn, Oliver, Farrukh, Kathryn, Nikola, Farrukh, Oliver, David, Farrukh, Kathryn, Farrukh, Carl, Farrukh, Nikola)

Farrukh

3. Discussion of comments: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201205/msg00002.html

  • Team: Welcomed Dr. Reagan Moore and every introduced themselves
  • Reagan: provided overview of iRODS
    • Manages large distributed collections of data (5PB, 200M files) across organization and geographic boundaries
      • Collection may reside in diverse operating systems, storage media
    • Enforces organization-specific collection management policies
    • Allows sharing of data between multiple institutions
    • Serves as a broker between protocol required by remote storage and remote client
  • Carl: What is our vision for the outcome of collaboration with iRODS
    • Farrukh: We identify what it takes for RegRep interface to be a front end to iRODS repository and log issues for any gaps that need to be filled in the specification. We target these issues to drive the next version of the specification.
  • Reagan: Asked if we have worked with DAITF (Data Access Interop Task Force), part of EUDAT infrastructure project. They are working on federating data across  repositories. They are serveying technology to leverage. They have decided to use iRODS. The NSF DataNet project is a similar program in US. It is being implented in NSF Earthcube project, Ocean Observatory Initiative (OOI), NOAA, ...
    • Farrukh: We have not worked with DAITF
    • Issue: How to make sure that DAITF and DataNet are aware of RegRep and to explore adoption of RegRep in those programs
  • Nikola: How do Fedora and DSPACE relate to iRODS? Does iRODS use them?
    • Reagan: The opposite. They use iRODS in their implementation
    • Reagan: RegRep could be another client interfaces to iRODS
  • Nikola: What interfaces are exposed by iRODS
    • Reagan: iRODS interfaces consist of: java,c and C++ io class libraries, shell commands
  • Nikola: What rules language for iRODS, It it forward or backward chaining
    • Reagan: Rules in iRODS uses its own rule language, not using DRULES or other external rule language
  • Nikola: Any UIs for rule maintenance?
    • Reagan: Microservers allow to manage and manipulate rules, essentially allows writing a rule to manage rules. A UI was developed in England by ??
  • Reagan: Comparing design centers, iRODS is strongly driven by scientific applications, whereas RegRep is driven by buisness processes
    • Farrukh: RegRep started with business process focus but experience over the years has been broader
  • ACTION:
    • Nikola / Farrukh / Reagan: sketch an outline of what a RegRep client interface to iRODS looks like

4. Open Data Interchange Framework project from ISO TC 154 and CEFACT
Did not get to this agenda item. Please comment via email on following thread:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201206/msg00000.html

5. Overview of ebXML one page brochure http://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/OnePager;

Did not get to this agenda item.

6. Additional items?

  • Kathryn: Should we plan on scheduling meetings every two weeks or once a month?
    • Farrukh: Prefer we set up meetings every 2 weeks and cancel unless we have agenda items and quorum

-- Regards,
Farrukh Najmi Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com