Subject: Meeting Minutes: September 14, 2012

Attendees: Farrukh, Kathryn, Nikola, Carl, Reagan

Agenda:
 1. Approval of Minutes (from  June 22):https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201206/msg00007.html

Approved

2. Minute taker (volunteer needed - last minute takers: (Farrukh, Farrukh, Farrukh, Farrukh, Oliver, Farrukh, Richard, Farrukh, Kathryn, Oliver, Farrukh, Kathryn, Nikola, Farrukh, Oliver, David, Farrukh, Kathryn, Farrukh, Carl, Farrukh, Nikola)

Farrukh

3. Review of proposed CQL Profile:https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201208/msg00004.html, https://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/CQLProfile

  • Farrukh: Reviewed background and context for Image and CQL Profile proposals as described in https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201208/msg00004.html
  • Farrukh: Reviewed CQL Profile proposal: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/CQLProfile
    • Uses existing AdhocQuery query with CQL as the query language and a CQL query string as the queryExpression parameter. No new query or query protocol changes are needed!
    • Farrukh: CQL came from Z3950 and being standardized by OASIS SearchWS TC
    • Nikola: We had tried collaboration with SearchWS TC before, Is there a need to do it again?
    • Farrukh: Last time we proposed to have them use our protocol. This time we want to use their query language. There is no strong reason for a formal collaboration other than to have normative reference to their CQL [SearchRetrievePt5] specification in our CQL Profile
    • Farrukh: In future it would be possible for any RegRep extension profile spec to define one or more CQL contexts, each defining context-specific search indexes that can be used in CQL queries as well as context -specific relations that may be used to match indexed data. Image Profile spec is the first such spec that uses CQL to enable ad hoc querying of profile-specific data in an interoperable way
  • Reagan: Need a way for clients to discover what contexts are supported by a server
    • Farrukh: The SearchWS protocol defines how. We need to specify that RegRep server support similar capability somehow. Will add to Issues section
  • Reagan: There are 3 levels of abstraction: the query language (e.g. SQL, CQL, SPARQL), the public protocol (e.g. ebRS), private (internal) protocol between RegRep server and remote data source. Example of latter is Integrating with an OpenDAP server that returns NetCDF format data. Need some sort of protocol mediation between public protocol (ebRS) and internal protocol (OpenDAP)
    • Farrukh: There is nothing in RegRep spec to define this today. Currently it is in implementation space. If there is a proposal for a spec to address this we should discus it in a focused way in a future meeting

4. Review of proposed Image Profile:https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/201208/msg00004.html, https://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/ImageProfile

  • Farrukh: Reviewed Image Profile proposal: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/regrep/documents/plan/regrep4/ImageProfile
    • EXIF and IPTC specs are quite complex and large
    • Currently only defining a small subset of metadata properties in EXIF and IPTC as indexes for the Image CQL Context
    • The Image CQL Context is likely to evolve as we gain experience with more indexes and relations
    • Cataloger map EXIF and IPTC metadata that have mapping to Image CQL Context to slots that follow a naming convention that matches the index name in slot.name. The slot ValueType matches the data type for the EXIF or IPTC property
  • Nikola: Should we allow for people to add additional indexes for ImageProfile?
    • Farrukh: that would be non-interoperable. Need to decide on all supported indexes as part of spec. Implementations could do more if they wish but thats outside the spec.

5. Additional items?

Next meeting: October 12, 2012 9AM PT / 12PM ET

Farrukh Najmi