relax-ng-comment message

Subject: [relax-ng-comment] Non-XML Syntax question

Hi all,

The first BNF production for the Non-XML syntax (latest version) reads:

    topLevel ::= decl* (pattern | (annotations, grammar) )

Can anybody please direct me to the syntax for the particular BNF being used
here, as I don't understand what the "," comma operator is meant to signify.
e.g. How
does the above production differ from

    topLevel ::= decl* (pattern | annotations grammar )

?

many tias,

gary