relax-ng-comment message

Subject: [relax-ng-comment] RELAX NG and GEDCOM/gdmxml

(forwarded message)

> Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:42:08 -0700
> From: Hans Fugal <hans@fugal.net>
> To: GenealogyXML@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [GenealogyXML] Re: Why not XML Schema instead of DTD

In gdmxml (http://gdmxml.fugal.net) I have already run across things
that Relax NG can do that XML Schema cannot. (let alone DTDs)  However,
as long as it can be represented in XML Schema, there is a translator
from Relax NG to XML Schema.

Further, in the arena of genealogical standards, I don't see end users
directly using the XML any more than they directly use GEDCOM. There may
be some who do (it would certainly be easier than GEDCOM), but most will
use software that outputs the XML.  I don't know all of the toolkits you
have mentioned, but every XML toolkit I have used so far is just an XML
toolkit... XML is XML. Making sure your program outputs something valid
to your schema is not difficult, and can be validated with a separate
program in test cases at build time.

I am being pragmatic by using Relax NG. Not only is it more powerful
(and power I need), but it was a lot easier to learn and I feel it is a
lot easier for the developer that is not familiar with XML Schema or
Relax NG to understand.

Hans

[...]

 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a
 http://gdmxml.fugal.net/   | merrier world.