Subject: Re: Syntax of parent attribute on ref element

John Cowan wrote:

> James Clark scripsit:
>
> > The ref element has a parent attribute with values true or false, which
> > indicates whether the reference is to the current grammar or to the
> > parent grammar.
> >
> > Can we do better than the current syntax?
>
> I propose adding a grammar attribute to the ref element.  This
> would mean that the reference was to the parent grammar whose
> name is specified by the attribute.
>
> This would require that the name attribute be added to the grammar
> element.
>
> It is an error if the named grammar is not a parent grammar.

There's only one parent grammar.  Do you mean you would be able to refer
to any ancestor grammar?

I considered that, but I couldn't come up with a use case where I needed
to refer to anything other than the parent. The use case for parent
references is

  http://www.thaiopensource.com/trex/tutorial.html#Nested_grammars

Using named grammar references don't seem to me to improve this case.
Do you have other cases in mind?