Subject: Re: Repeat M-N times

I am working on reformulating data models from ISO 10303 as XML. ISO 10303
(a.k.a. "STEP") is a standard for representing the physical and functional
characteristics of a product throughout its life cycle. STEP is currently
being used for data exchange between CAD systems in the automotive,
aerospace, and electrical components industries. STEP is also beginning to
be used in product data management (PDM) systems.

The need to repeat items between M and N times comes up pretty often in
STEP, particularly when the data involves geometry information. For example,
a polygon is represented in STEP as a list of three or more cartesian
points. The control points in a b-spline curve are represented as a list of
two or more cartesian points. A cartesian point's coordinates are
represented as a list of either one, two, or three real numbers. Numerous
other examples exist.

It appears to be the case in STEP that M and N, when specified, tend to be
small. Thus, I don't think reasonable size limits on M and N would cause any
problems for STEP.

Josh

Joshua Lubell, NIST
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263