Subject: Re: Issue: redefinitions and order-significance

My impression after a cursory look is that it will be more complex than
the current implementation, but it will be possible.

Here is one of the problem:

<script> is available as a child of <head> (as well as other places)
only when script module is used. The current implementation is clean in
the sense that <head> element doesn't know anything about <script>.

<head> element just exposes its content model and <script> extends it by
combine="interleave" from script module.

this makes it really easy to add/remove modules. Especially removing
a module can be done without any knowledge to the internal structure of
modules.

However, in XML Schema implementation, when removing a module, you have
to redefine all the related declarations that originally refer to the
removed module. (or this can be avoided by allowing reference to
undefined patterns but we don't want to do this, don't we.)

Another entirely different approach to make XHTML m12n easy is to allow
multiple patterns to share the name --- just like RELAX --- and treats
them as if they are embraced in choices. This will keep order of
definitions insignificant and still makes XHTML m12n easy.

--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@eng.sun.com