Subject: Issue 11. MNrepeat: Repeat M-N times

During the April 19 teleconference I took on an action item to find additional evidence of the popularity of min/max constraints in existing XML schemas. Here are some real-world examples, all of which use minOccurs and/or maxOccurs to represent cardinality constraints. I'm sure I could find more if the TC is still unconvinced that min/max would be a good idea for TREX version 1.

1. Geography Markup Language
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/XMML/gml2/
A LinearRing is defined by four or more coordinate tuples.

2. Extensible Provisioning Protocol Domain Name Mapping (IETF Internet Draft)
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-epp-domain-01.txt
An EPP <update> command (whatever the heck *that* is) can contain up to 8 add/remove elements.

3. flightSchedule schema from Virgin Atlantic Airways
http://www.biztalk.org/library/view_object_details.asp?id=542 (you have to request a BizTalk userid and password to read this URL)
Flight instances have from 1 to 7 days of operation

I also found some examples with maxOccurs equal to 2. Although the need for min/max for the following is less compelling than for examples 1 through 3, I still think there would be some benefit.

4. XML Schema for Topic Maps
http://www.diffuse.org/TopicMaps/schema.html
An association between topics can have at most 2 prompts (textual clues to the user).

5. US Ballot Markup Language
http://schemas.soap-wrc.com/usbml/docs/ballotml.html
A ballot has to have 2 signatures.

6.XML Schema for GenCam (a standard for printed circuit board assemblies)
http://www.gencam.org/
A Test Connection connects 2 objects.

Regards,
Josh