Subject: RE: infoset

Actually, the CR spec (http://www.w3.org/tr/xml-infoset/ is only 16 pages
long and, I think, quite simple. I compliment John Cowan and Richard Tobin
for stating the facts clearly and sensibly. Refreshing! Can't say the same
for all specs.

-Mike

P.S. One of my favorite bumper stickers: "Eschew Obfuscation!"

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 6:49 AM
To: James Clark
Cc: RNG List; Michael Fitzgerald

Message text written by James Clark

The spec will have a formal model of what a document is, in terms of which
it describes the formal validation semantics. In my view it ought to show
how the infoset maps onto this (it's very straightforward).

<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm struggling to understand infoset.  On the one hand it seems
simple - collections of what amount to 'documentation' about
key parameter relating to some content instance?

As usual the W3C has managed to make what appears to
be a simple concept and totally obfuscate it.

I was amazed there were no helpful samples in their doc' to
help you unravel the insider-speak.

Anyone have any useful URL's which explain what this
stuff really is to mere mortals?

Thanks, DW.