Subject: RE: infoset

David,

I believe infoset just gives things unified labels, so that a variety of
specs can point to something and all of them call it by the same name. E.g.,
XSLT uses 'current node' and XPath 'context node'. This is confusing to most
of us. With infoset, a tree is an information set and an element node is an
element information item with properties such as a local name, attributes,
children, and parents. So you *could* describe a XML document like this:

<order:Order xmlns:order="http://www.testb2b.org/order" date="2001-05-31"
partner="06-853-2535">
 <order:Quantity>40</order:Quantity>
 <order:Item partno="7-8492-101">Wonder Widget</order:Item>
</order:Order>

Order element information item (see section 2.2 of
http://www.w3.org/tr/xml-infoset/):
properties:
 local name: Order
 prefix: order
 attributes: date, partner
 namespace name: http://www.testb2b.org/order
 parent: root (document information item)
 children: Quantity, Item

Infoset will help folks who have to write processors for XML and have to
make choices about what to call things in method calls, classes, etc. It
will be easier for software and humans to figure out what is going on and
then interoperate.

I hope this helps,

Mike