Subject: Re: Issue(?): <list> in <list>

By the way, the reply of yours didn't reach the list; it just reached me.

> I think Kohsuke is right, of course. Chances are the "smart" inference rule
>
> E; ns |- { }; split( s ) =~ p => k; kr
> E; ns |- { }; s =~ <list> p </list> => k; kr
>
> already forbids this. How?

No.

Firstly, the inference rules tell that certainly patterns like the
following do not match anything:

<list>
 <list>
  <data type="int">
  <data type="int">
 </list>
</list>

But it doesn't say whether the processor should report an error for such
a grammar or not.

Secondly, sometimes a nested <list> accepts something. For example,

<list>
 <list>
  <data type="int"/>
 </list>
</list>

accepts "5".

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com