Subject: Re: Test suite coordination

I find it very hard to author and maintain a test suite when it has
gazillions of little files.  I find it much easier if an entire test case or
even collection of test cases can be collected in a single file. Especially
when writing a test case for a valid pattern, it's helpful have the pattern,
the instances that it is supposed to match and the instances it is supposed
not to match in a single file. Since all are test cases are XML, it seems
natural to me to use XML to represent a test case.  This also allows us to
add arbitrary amounts of metadata.

<testCase>
  <id>empty1</id>
  <createdBy>James Clark</createdBy>
  <date>2001-06-15</date>
  <doc>Tests a single empty element.</doc>
  <validPattern>
    <element name="foo">
      <empty/>
    </element>
  <validPattern>
  <valid>
     <foo/>
  </valid>
  <invalid>
    <foo>stuff</foo>
  </invalid>
  <invalid>
    <bar/>
  </invalid>
</testCase>

It is easy to write a XSLT stylesheet that will take a document with a
collection of such test cases and generate a set of files.