Subject: Re: Issue: <anyNameExcept> and <anyNsNameExcept> rather than<difference>

James Clark wrote:

> I would therefore propose the following (relative to the current spec):
>
> 1) Drop <not>

Agreed.

> 2) Drop <difference>

Agreed.

> 3) Add <except> as an optional child of <nsName> and <anyName>; <except> has
> one or more name classes as children. Thus

Agreed.

> <anyName>
>   <except>
>     <name>foo</name>
>     <name>bar</name>
>   </except>
> </anyName>
..
> <anyName>
>   <except>
>     <nsName/>
>     <nsName ns=""/>
>   </except>
> </anyName>
..
> <nsName>
>   <except>
>     <name>foo</name>
>     <name>bar</name>
>   </except>
> </nsName>

I think that this syntax is very natural.

> As with Murata-san's proposal the grammar for name classes can prohibit
> silly things that are almost certainly mistakes like:
>
> <anyName>
>   <except>
>     <anyName/>
>   </except>
> </anyName>

I would like to probihitm them.

case 1: <anyName>

<nsName> or <name> only.

Case 2: <nsName>

<name> only.

> 4) Allow <data> to contain an optional <except> element; in this context the
> <except> element would contain one or more patterns.

I like consistent use of the keyword <except>.

> <attribute name="version">
>   <data type="decimal">
>     <except>
>       <value>1.0</value>
>     </except>
>   </data>
> </attribute>
>
> or
>
> <attribute name="base">
>   <data type="QName">
>     <except>
>       <value type="QName">double</value>
>       <value type="QName">float</value>
>       <value type="QName">boolean</value>
>       <value type="QName">string</value>
>     </except>
>   </data>
> </attribute>
>
> or
>
> <attribute name="foo">
>   <data type="string">
>     <param name="maxLength">42</param>
>     <except>
>       <data type="decimal"/>
>     </except>
>   </data>
> </attribute>

> The key and keyRef attributes should probably be prohibited inside <except>
> inside <data>.  We can discuss further exactly what would be allowed inside
> <except> inside <data>: certainly elements and attributes should not be.

Your last example have <data type="decimal"/>.  However, <value> might be
already good enough for V1 of RELAX NG.