Subject: Re: Issue: are <optional>, <oneOrMore>, <zeroOrMore> verbose?

Message text written by James Clark

> On the other hand, I do think that
>
> <optional>
>   <attribute name="foo">
>   </attribute>
> </optional>
>
> is verbose, especially when this is repeated again and again (how do
> others feel?).
<

James

I like this as we have it now - its simple and obvious and follows a
consistent pattern that users can assimulate.

Bringing in <optionalAttribute>  is counter to the idea of atomic
primitives.

Sometimes verbose is relative.  The thing that makes RELAX a standout
is that the intrinsic visual structure is exposed directly, not obfuscated.

Problem is - someone can always come up with a verbose example -
what we need is to understand the normal and common practice - and
how often those patterns appear.  If we need a primitive shorthand to
address something that happens everywhere - then I'd consider that
useful.

Hopefully that's not too contradictory!?!

Thanks, DW.