Subject: Re: Section 7.4

Maybe I should stop messing around this issue and leave it to the big
guys....

> Let's face it.  The current spec is already very unsatisfactory for database
> guys.  We will eventually need a different spec for identity constraints.  If
> our mechanism is as simple as ID/IDREF/IDREFS of DTDs, we can say that it is
> only for compatibility with DTDs.  If our key/keyRef is extremely complicated,
> we cannot say so.

To me, each pattern in RELAX NG is much like a LEGO brick. Any LEGO
brick can be combined with any other LEGO bricks. That's why you can
assemble them into a car, a castle, or whatever you want. And that's why
it is so easy that even 5 year old child can play with it.

So I think it would be nice if we can preserve this property as much as
possible.

> >But at the same, it is true that 7.4 is by far the most complex section
> >in the spec, probably partly because many concepts are introduced one
> >after another so rapidly that it's hard to chew them up.
>
> Good.  We have agreed that 7.4 is extremely complicated.   I think that the reason
> is generalization of ad-hocness rather than the presentation.

I should have added "for me" to my sentence. Section 6 was very easy for
me, but that's probably because I am familiar with those inference
notations and I knew tree regular language.  In a way, I knew most of
the things that will be written in section 6 before I read it.
Without those knowledge, I think many people will find section 6
difficult, too.

And yes, I said 7.4 is "by far the most complex section" but it's
because other sections are too easy.  You know, I've read the spec of
W3C XML Schema Part 1. No wonder I felt ours is too easy :-)

Anyway, so I think 7.4 is of acceptable complexity.

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI                          +1 650 786 0721
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com