Subject: RE: Fallback mechanism for the datatype

Right.  In some situations it might be appropriate for the validator simply
to throw a fatal error; in other situations it might recover by treating it
as a string.  It could even interactively ask the use what it should do for
an unknown datatype.  I don't think we can dictate behaviour in these
circumstances given the braod range of scenarios in which RELAX NG might be
applied.