Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Re: DOM Level 3 AS

James Clark wrote:

>>In my experience, if you want to be abstract enough, you cannot be more
>>concrete than the Acceptor model of MSV (com.sun.msv.verifier.Acceptor).
>>This is so abstract that it's pretty useless for anything but validation.
>>

> I think one could make an abstract enough interface for schema-guided
> document editing, e.g.
>
> - is this element valid here?
> - what elements can be inserted here?

Yes. There seem to be at least 4 different kind of APIs dealing with
schemas (in no specific order):

1) API which exposes the PSVI (when there is one)
2) API to parse a schema and send information to a validator
3) API to perform schema-guided document editing
4) API to edit a schema (could rely on 2) for reading the schema).

DOM Level 3 AS is mainly (if not only) about 3).

Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI is probably speaking about 2) when he says that it's a
tough task to define something generic enough...

And 1) seems to be left to the W3C XML Schema Working Group which will
probably not leave any chance to interoperate with anything else than
W3C XML Schema.

> DOM Level 3 AS has this:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-ASLS/abstract-schemas.html#DocumentEditing
>
> but some parts look rather non-general.
>
> For editing a schema I think it's very hard to abstract away the details of
> the schema language.  I don't think DOM Level 3 is very successful at this.
> For example, it completely throws away DTD parameter entities.

My understanding is that they do not pretend to be able to save an AS in
its original form and to keep all the information. I understand it as
way to save what they've called an abstract schema, not as an abstract
way to save a schema! I don't think they even require the serialization
of these saved AS to be interoperable between implementations.

Eric

--
Rendez-vous a Paris pour mes formations XML/XSLT.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/