Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Issue: long string literals

> Perl 6 is changing "." to "^" (with "^^" for XOR), so I wouldn't use that
> as a precedent.  What about mere string concatenation, as in C?
> We are dealing with literals here.

Mere concatenation doesn't play well with the use of doubling as the way of
quoting the string literal delimiter.  If we allowed mere concatenation,
then both

  "foo""bar"

and

  "foo" "bar"

would be legal, but would have different meanings. It would also create
parsing problems, since

  namespace xxx = "http://www.example.com";
  "str"

is syntactically legal (and semantically legal if you externalRef it
appropriately), although not very useful.

I quite like "^" as the concatenation operator.