Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Encoding declaration, MIME type

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:38:42 +0700
James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

> > MIME people have different opinion about text/*.  See:
> >
> > http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/msg00204.html
>
> Do these arguments a really apply to RNC?  In that message, Ned says:

When I asked:

He wrote:

> This was always the underlying intent.

He also mentioned text/css as "one of the more egregious ones".

You wrote:

>The difficulty I see with this argument is this: if the user
>doesn't want to see the RNC, why are they trying to open the thing with the
>browser in the first place?

and

> 2. Suppose a user receives a RNC file as MIME part.  Because it's
> text/something, it get's displayed as plain text. Is this bad?

I don't want to open this can of warms here in the RELAX NG TC.  This is
a MIME issue and should be discussed at IETF (maybe, in the IETF XML-MIME ML).

I'm not a fan of MIME.  I think that it needs a significant surgery.   But
if different groups of people adopt different interpretations of and improvements
to MIME, the result will (or has been) chaotic.