relax-ng message

Subject: [relax-ng] Minutes for RELAX NG TC Telcon 2002-06-06

Minutes for a RELAX NG technical committee teleconference held 6 June 2002 at 9:00 AM EDT (UTC -04:00)

Makoto (joined later)

Not Attending

1. Compact syntax draft

John found an ambiguity when trying to implement an XLink schema dealing with except syntax (-). James agreed to fix.

With regard to local namespace declaration

John: I think generating an prefix is the only reasonable way to handle it
James: I've tried several ways to do it. Nothing was satisfactory. It doesn't seem worth it.

Closes this issue with no action, that is, we will not provide a local default namespace declaration.

2. Shall we predeclare the xsd datatype library?

James: We discussed in an earlier telecon but we didn't have a quorum. How do people feel?
All: [ok with it]
John: What if they want to declare xsd: for something else?
James: We could do it like xml: where it's okay to declare again correctly but not incorrectly.
John: We could allow it and generate a warning...
Mike: Just let them use xs:...
John: [not conventional xs: is used for structure, xsd: for datatypes]
Mike: I missed that [doh]
James: I am marginally in favor of generating an error if you try to use xsd: for something other than http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes
John: An error to declare same prefix twice?
James: Even if for the same namespace
John: Jing's -c option...always compact syntax?

Voted in favor of predeclaring xsd as the prefix for XML Schema datatypes (http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes)

3. Back to draft spec

James: Do we want to issue this a committee spec? I don't think we are quite ready...
Norm: Let's keep it as working draft for now
John: I thought it was an editor's draft
Mike: Norm, it's that what you meant?
Norm: Yes, at OASIS, specs are in three forms: pre-committee, committee, and standard
Mike: I think we need more input...we should get Makoto's input
James: We are not ready to vote this week. Let's pick it up in a few weeks.

4. Errata

(a) ref and parentRef in RELAX NG schema for RELAX NG incorrectly disallow foreign elements

 John: I think externalRef and parent are inconsistent
 James: [explained his logic] I'll mull it a bit...I take your point

Will add <ref name="other"/> to RELAX NG schema for RELAX NG

(b) HTML well-formedness error (multiple <html> elements)

Discussed whether we add to errata or just fix the error. It has no effect on document content.

Norm: I'm comfortable with this
Mike: I think we ought to have some disclosure [rather than just secretly doing it]
Norm: Yes we ought to just fix it and post a note about it
James: Agree
John: We ought to have a rule to validate all committee documents

(c) "a choice" in 4.14 and 4.15 is untranslatable into Japanese

(d) in 4.6 and 4.6 two occurrences of "attribute" should be "element"

[Any other business?]