Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Simple type assignment

> Here is different feedback.  I recently spoke with some
> important person in another major XML vendor.  I was quite
> strongly encouraged to provide type-assignement for all
> elements and attributes so that XQuery can rely on such
> type-assignment.

I think this is important too.  My point is that there are multiple kinds of
type assignment each of which is important for different classes of
application.  Fortunately, the way we are layering type assignment on top of
RELAX NG means we are not forced to adopt a single kind of type assignment.
Of course, we don't want to have too many different kinds of type
assignment.

Incidentally, I believe XQuery needs type-assignment for text nodes as well.

What I'm not sure about with XQuery is the extent to which it needs to know
about the type hierarchy.