Subject: [relax-ng] Re: JAXB ASM

I intended to send this e-mail to the list but apparently hit the wrong
reply button.

> I was looking at the Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB)[1] spec today.
> I see that Kohsuke is part of the expert group.
>
> They have an Abstract Schema Model (appendix e). What I am not sure of is
> whether the JAXB ASM is only an aid to understanding XSD or, if it allows
> for binding RNG et al. to a Java representation. Does anyone know?

This section is copied from XML Schema spec, just for the reader's
convenience.

Quoting from the first paragraph of Appendix.E,

      The following summarization abstract schema component model has
      been extracted from [XSD Part 1] as a convenience for those not
      familar with XML Schema component model in understanding the
      binding of XML Schema components to Java representation. One must
      refer to [XSD Part 1] for the complete normative description for
      these components.

As I understand it, the binding (the process that determines how a
schema is mapped to Java) only is concerned with XML Schema, but the
runtime API is schema language agnostic.

regards,
--
Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI
Sun Microsystems                   kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com