Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Conversion of comments between the compact and the XMLsyntax

>> It seems to me that the annotation should be included in what is
>> described (especially if you want to extract documentation) and that if
>> I want to document a complex regular expression within a pattern, the
>> annotation should be included in the "pattern" element rather than
>> following it.
>
> Why?  The spec (DTD Compatibility) explicitly allows a:documentation to
> follow the RELAX NG element to which it applies.  This done precisely to
> allow annotation of param/value/name.

Also note that Trang supports this.  For example, this RNG

<element name="foo"
xmlns:a="http://relaxng.org/ns/compatibility/annotations/1.0";
xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0";
datatypeLibrary="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes";>
  <data type="string">
    <param name="pattern">[A-Za-z]+</param>
    <a:documentation>Any letter</a:documentation>
  </data>
</element>

will turn into this XSD

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
elementFormDefault="qualified">
  <xs:element name="foo">
    <xs:simpleType>
      <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
        <xs:pattern value="[A-Za-z]+">
          <xs:annotation>
            <xs:documentation>Any letter</xs:documentation>
          </xs:annotation>
        </xs:pattern>
      </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>