Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Associating documents and schemas

> In working on my Emacs XML mode, I have had to confront the old chestnut
> of how to find a schema for a document.

I propose to first study (1) existing mechanisms (for DTDs and WXS)
and their pros and cons, and (2) requirements by Web Service users,
HTML users, and SGML users.  Although I do see some values in providing
an in-band mechanism for specifying schemas, there are some disadvantages
as well.

In my understanding, DOCTYPE being the only authoritative mechanism
in SGML has caused problems (catalogs help, but not always), while
xsi:schemaLocation being a hint has confused users.  Internal subsets
are convenient but are also problematic.  For example, I am not sure
if XQuery or XSLT 2.0 can easily handle RNG internal subsets.  (How
can static type checking take internal subsets into consideration?)

It might be an idea to publish a note about in-band schema references
and in-band schemas and ask for feedback from the public.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>