Subject: Re: Associating documents and schemas

Murata-san wrote:
> In my understanding, DOCTYPE being the only authoritative mechanism
> in SGML has caused problems (catalogs help, but not always), while
> xsi:schemaLocation being a hint has confused users.

As far as I can tell, the W3C XML Schema spec did a reasonable job of
claiming that the xsi:schemaLocation is merely a hint and a processor is
allowed to do anything. Everyone in the WG has the same interpretation
on this area of the spec.

Yet somehow parsers don't really seem to provide a nice way to ignore
hints, and people seems to think as if @xsi:schemaLocation is the only
authoritative way to use XML Schema validation.

I understand that neither James nor Murata-san want the association
mechanism to be treated like that. And I suppose that means we need to
do more than what the W3C XML Schema spec did, to make sure that they
are not the only way.

Do we have any idea how it can be done?

regards,
--